GreaterRealms Newcomer's Guide

GreaterRealms

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GreaterRealms Newcomer's Guide  (Read 11488 times)

GreaterRealms Newcomer's Guide
« on: Sep 02, 2013, 03:39:47 PM »

Welcome to GreaterRealms! GreaterRealms can be a bit daunting at first, so let's roll out the welcome wagon and get you trundling on your way to mastering what's available to you here.

Read this first:
GreaterRealms Guidelines

Make this forum the first you check as much as possible:
Announcements

Getting Around GreaterRealms:
Our top navigation menu found just bellow our banner at the top of the main page or forums holds links to virtually every aspect of GreaterRealms, your accounts and more.

Forum Basics:
I've registered, how do I customize my profile?
How do I add an avatar?
How do I add a signature?
How do I create multiple characters all from one account?
How do I switch between multiple characters?
Can anyone see my subaccounts?
Where can I post my character stories?
What do I do if I want my character's own subforum?
How do I post a topic?
Who do I contact if I want a topic moved/removed/edited?
What do I do if I find a topic/post/reply that breaks the guidelines of GR

Chat Basics
How do I log into the chat?
How do I check to see what has happened in the chat before I got there if there's no /back command?
How do I type in the chat?
How do I change my font color/font face?
How do I pick out a small 16x16 avatar to show up beside my text in chat?
How do I turn off/on chat sounds?
Are there any rules or guidelines I should know about the chat?
How do I switch rooms?
How do I create a Public/private chat room?
Can I moderate a room I create for myself?
Who moderates the Public/default chat rooms?
Who moderates a player created setting that becomes a public/default room by public vote?
Are player created rooms/player created private rooms logged?
Is the Lounge Logged?
Where can I read the logs?
]What do I do if I am being harassed/if someone is spamming/breaking guidelines in the public chat rooms?

Staff Contact:
Site creator & Owner: GreaterRealms on site
GreaterRealms@2phatgeeks.com
epicureanpoetry@gmail.com
AIM: Pinkatron2000

Moderators:

Brett Calvertt
Val Holt

Forum Basics
To customize your forum profile, log into the site and visit the top navigation menu link: Profile. Next, you'll want to visit: Modify Profile. From Modify Profile you will click on Forum profile. Forum Profile link is where you may upload an avatar, enter a birth date, share your social media, link to your ROH or RDI profiles, enter character appearance and more. Many of the sites functions which can be tailored for users can be found in the profile link too, not just avatar and character profile! Have fun and explore!

To add an avatar to your profile at GR, visit the Profile Link, Modify Profile, and finally click on the Forum Profile link, here: http://gr.2phatgeeks.com/index.php?action=profile;area=forumprofile;u= At the very top of the page is the area in which you upload an avatar to represent you on GR. Avatars that are not 100x100 pixels will be resized by the forum.

You may add a signature that will appear on your forum posts and in your profile by following the same steps for adding an avatar and for customizing your forum profile.

You may create multiple characters, accounts or 'screen names' via one registered account here on GreaterRealms thanks to a modification called Subaccounts. Subaccounts allow you to connect unlimited other names to one account, without having to use another email to register. They can be merged, deleted, and maintained all from the "main" account. You may find how to create and manage your screen accounts by visiting this link: http://gr.2phatgeeks.com/index.php?action=profile;area=managesubaccounts . You may watch an instructional video on how to create subaccounts via this link:

Currently the only way to switch between characters on site is by using the drop down menu at the upper right hand of the GreaterRealms website. This drop down menu is only available via our Light Theme, Argentum. The drop down menu to switch characters looks like this:  There is the added feature of subaccounts that, if writing a topic on the forums,  there is also a drop down menu within the post that will allow you to post as any of your sub accounts.

The ONLY people on this website that can see your subaccounts and who they belong to are: a) You. b) Administration. Administration will never reveal subaccount information. Also, be aware that if you do not wish others to know who you play, please do not share that information and do not share your log in or password with anyone.

GreaterRealms forum has two main sections: Out of Character (at the top) and In Character. You may post your character stories in any of the IC forums that suit your story needs.

Currently, if you do not find the large selection of IC forums already made to be tailored to your character and would like to request a subforum, you may do so in this thread: http://gr.2phatgeeks.com/index.php?topic=4.0 . At this time, there are no requirements other than filling out a short form. As our forums fill up and our site grows, however, restrictions may apply. Please keep an eye out on announcements.

To post a topic within any of our forums on GreaterRealms, first, you must be in the forum you wish to post. For example: if you wish to post in Events forum, click on the Events forum. Once the forum is loaded, you will see a New Topic button, that looks like this: . Click on the New Topic button. You will be presented with a text area to begin your writing.

If you find that you have double-posted, accidentally posted in the wrong forum, or, would like a post removed, you may contact our Moderators (viewable from the Team Page) or our administrators at any time. We will assist you ASAP :)

Should you find a spam post or a post that you feel is against GR's guidelines, inside every single topic on the forum is a text link on the bottom right hand corner, within the post titled, "Report to Moderator." This flags a post for moderator and Administrator attention and we will look over it as soon as possible.

Chat Basics
To log into the chat room, please click the dark blue button on the home page or forum page on the upper right hand side labeled "Chat.' You must be logged into an SMF forum account, however, to access the chat.  As we are still ironing out some bugs, it is not currently possible to have two SMF names in the chat at the same time in the same browser. You may attempt to log into a second SMF name from a different browser (Example: IE & Fire Fox, Fire Fox and Chrome, Opera and Chrome) and so on--but there are issues there as well. For anonymity reasons, we suggest logging in with one name at a time and apologize for any inconvenience this causes.

The check to see what is going on in one of the public/default chat rooms before you enter it, or as you enter it, since there is no back command, simply check out Logs created by the kick ass Kalamere. Our chat logs are real time--meaning that what's going on in chat can be found in logs almost instantaneously. You can find out chat logs here: http://www.gr.2phatgeeks.com/prochatrooms/logs/

To type a message in chat, place and click so that your cursor is in the white text field at the bottom where the red arrows indicate.When you are finished typing you can hit enter to send, or click the Submit button.

To change the color of your font and what font type you use, click on the Abc icon when you are in the chat. Currently, the font interface is slow and takes time to load. Please be patient. Once it opens, three windows with font color: font style and font size are presented to you. Simply click a color, a style, and size that suits your needs. Then, to close the windows, click on the white X in the upper right hand corners.

To choose a very small, 16x16 avatar that appears to the left of your screenname when you type, click on the icon of a man/woman wearing sunglasses. . This will load all the 16x16 images to choose from. You simply need to click on one to use it.

To turn on or off the chat sounds, click on the Wrench icon . A small window opens with options to turn off sounds AND SFX. Currently we do not have any volume control, and the chat does not flash if sound is turned off, we apologize for any inconvenience this causes.

Our Chat Room guidelines can be found here: http://gr.2phatgeeks.com/index.php?topic=3.0

To switch to a different chat room within GR chat, look to the upper right hand corner. Beside the icon of what seems to be a little house, there is a drop down menu. Clicking on it will open the drop down menu and present you with the current list of rooms. Hover over a room name and click it to switch to a different chat.

To create your own user room within GR chat, visit the upper right hand corner of your chat screen. Locate the icon that appears to be a small house with a green dot and checkmark. Click on the house to prompt the room creation dialogue. There you can enter a name for your chat. If you wish for your chat to be public, leave the password field blank. If you wish for the chat to be private, enter a password. NOTE: The chat may not create chat rooms with names longer than 25 characters. If you are having trouble creating a chat room, try shortening the name.

Yes. If you are the creator of a chat room, you are moderator of that chat room alone. If necessary, you may silence, kick and ban someone from your room. Please only do this if a member is purposefully spamming, trolling or being disruptive, and report such behavior (with logs and screenshots) to the admins or moderators as soon as possible!

Moderation of Public/Default, or permanent chat rooms on GR fall upon the Moderators (names with (M) beside their names) and the Administrators, (names with (A) beside their names.)

A setting which a player presents to GreaterRealm for us, and is subsequently voted upon by the community and instated becomes a public/default or permanent room. Therefore, it is moderated by staff and not those who created the room.

Player created public or player created private rooms are not logged. If you wish to keep a copy of what goes on in the room, players will have to use the Message History button in the chat and copy/paste. We are sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

Our OOC room, The Lounge, is logged and logs are public.

To read our logs, visit: http://www.gr.2phatgeeks.com/prochatrooms/logs/

If you are being harassed in room, in GR Private Chats or whispers, encounter a player who is purposefully disregardful of the guidelines, spamming chat sounds in an IC room, please note the time, date, and take screenshots/logs as well in case behavior happens in a room we do not log. Please report this as soon as possible to administrators or moderators. While we encourage player issues to be handled by players, we take harassment, guideline breaking and disruption seriously. [/anchor]
 You own a rock. It's a rock with a symbol on it. Nobody is sure what it does.    Light, flexible, and handy for the acrobatic types.    A versatile vegetable for cakes, stews, meals and rabbits.    RhyDin's finest home made brew. Random and questionable contents which all lead to the same thing: getting stupefied drunk. Warning label reads: May cause fire breathing, murderous rampages, embarassing confessions, illusions of grandeur, overly affectionate thoughts and gut rot. Drink at your own risk.    A heavy long steel shield, enchanted with nature and shaped to resemble a leaf. The shield is said to be able to cloak the bearer in forested areas three times a day.    Madam Curio's specialty potion. One potion can restore either a tiny tidbit of health, stamina, mana (magic), strength, dexterity, perceptions or intelligence with one draw back: the effect is random and the drinker has no idea which will be bolstered.   A steel shuriken, or throwing star. Easily concealed, these weapons can be thrown or hidden in the palm for slashing or puncturing.    A deep green ring carved from spinel. Engraved are shapes of twisting vines that seem to reach out. This ring is ensorcelled to allow the wearer to cast Tangling Vines, a spell to trap a target, twice a day.   A necklace with the mummified claw of a supposed harpy. It is said the necklace may grant the wearer feather fall once a day.    This health potion is enough to restore light wounds (cuts, bruises, knock outs.) It may be enough to keep serious wounds together long enough to seek medical attention...but it isn't recommended for near-death health issues.    A splendid long cloak dyed as black as a starless night. To keep a body warm or to keep them hidden in the shadows?  
The Wizard of Words award is given to members who have created 50 topics on GR, celebrating their words. This award is given to players with a bad ass character. This award is granted to members who have become prolific posters on GreaterRealms. The Enkindler Award is given to the Top Ten Topic Starters here on GreaterRealms. A small thank you from us for starting something good! An award given to the Top 10 members who have spent the most time online here at GreaterRealms. Thank you for your time! This award is granted to members who have volunteered and who are volunteering to be staff or bard at GR.
Re: GreaterRealms Newcomer's Guide
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2014, 11:47:14 AM »

Edited on Tuesday, July 22nd, 2014 to reflect active staff.
 You own a rock. It's a rock with a symbol on it. Nobody is sure what it does.    Light, flexible, and handy for the acrobatic types.    A versatile vegetable for cakes, stews, meals and rabbits.    RhyDin's finest home made brew. Random and questionable contents which all lead to the same thing: getting stupefied drunk. Warning label reads: May cause fire breathing, murderous rampages, embarassing confessions, illusions of grandeur, overly affectionate thoughts and gut rot. Drink at your own risk.    A heavy long steel shield, enchanted with nature and shaped to resemble a leaf. The shield is said to be able to cloak the bearer in forested areas three times a day.    Madam Curio's specialty potion. One potion can restore either a tiny tidbit of health, stamina, mana (magic), strength, dexterity, perceptions or intelligence with one draw back: the effect is random and the drinker has no idea which will be bolstered.   A steel shuriken, or throwing star. Easily concealed, these weapons can be thrown or hidden in the palm for slashing or puncturing.    A deep green ring carved from spinel. Engraved are shapes of twisting vines that seem to reach out. This ring is ensorcelled to allow the wearer to cast Tangling Vines, a spell to trap a target, twice a day.   A necklace with the mummified claw of a supposed harpy. It is said the necklace may grant the wearer feather fall once a day.    This health potion is enough to restore light wounds (cuts, bruises, knock outs.) It may be enough to keep serious wounds together long enough to seek medical attention...but it isn't recommended for near-death health issues.    A splendid long cloak dyed as black as a starless night. To keep a body warm or to keep them hidden in the shadows?  
The Wizard of Words award is given to members who have created 50 topics on GR, celebrating their words. This award is given to players with a bad ass character. This award is granted to members who have become prolific posters on GreaterRealms. The Enkindler Award is given to the Top Ten Topic Starters here on GreaterRealms. A small thank you from us for starting something good! An award given to the Top 10 members who have spent the most time online here at GreaterRealms. Thank you for your time! This award is granted to members who have volunteered and who are volunteering to be staff or bard at GR.
Pages: [1]   Go Up