Taking Chatroom suggestions!

GreaterRealms

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taking Chatroom suggestions!  (Read 273 times)

Taking Chatroom suggestions!
« on: Dec 16, 2018, 09:59:12 PM »

As many of you probably already know, and for those of you who do not: Prochat, the company who created GR's chatroom went out of business, leaving us with a semi-buggy (but better thanks to Kalamere's hard work!) chat room that's not entirely what we all wanted. (Close! But not perfect.)

Most of the chat programs I have come across are basically monthly plans ranging from $19 to upward of $69 a month. Obviously, the pricier chats will be out of my range, and perhaps even yours, to support monthly. But a chat that may cost $20 a month for a certain amount of rooms and features and users (since we're small anyway!) might be a good idea.

But I'm not sure were to start. And I don't want to randomly pick one (like before :p) without community input, suggestions and testing.

So!
What do you think? What chats do you like the look of? What software or chat room hosting companies look good to you? Thanks!
 You own a rock. It's a rock with a symbol on it. Nobody is sure what it does.    Light, flexible, and handy for the acrobatic types.    A versatile vegetable for cakes, stews, meals and rabbits.    RhyDin's finest home made brew. Random and questionable contents which all lead to the same thing: getting stupefied drunk. Warning label reads: May cause fire breathing, murderous rampages, embarassing confessions, illusions of grandeur, overly affectionate thoughts and gut rot. Drink at your own risk.    A heavy long steel shield, enchanted with nature and shaped to resemble a leaf. The shield is said to be able to cloak the bearer in forested areas three times a day.    Madam Curio's specialty potion. One potion can restore either a tiny tidbit of health, stamina, mana (magic), strength, dexterity, perceptions or intelligence with one draw back: the effect is random and the drinker has no idea which will be bolstered.   A steel shuriken, or throwing star. Easily concealed, these weapons can be thrown or hidden in the palm for slashing or puncturing.    A deep green ring carved from spinel. Engraved are shapes of twisting vines that seem to reach out. This ring is ensorcelled to allow the wearer to cast Tangling Vines, a spell to trap a target, twice a day.   A necklace with the mummified claw of a supposed harpy. It is said the necklace may grant the wearer feather fall once a day.    This health potion is enough to restore light wounds (cuts, bruises, knock outs.) It may be enough to keep serious wounds together long enough to seek medical attention...but it isn't recommended for near-death health issues.    A splendid long cloak dyed as black as a starless night. To keep a body warm or to keep them hidden in the shadows?  
The Wizard of Words award is given to members who have created 50 topics on GR, celebrating their words. This award is given to players with a bad ass character. This award is granted to members who have become prolific posters on GreaterRealms. The Enkindler Award is given to the Top Ten Topic Starters here on GreaterRealms. A small thank you from us for starting something good! An award given to the Top 10 members who have spent the most time online here at GreaterRealms. Thank you for your time! This award is granted to members who have volunteered and who are volunteering to be staff or bard at GR.
Re: Taking Chatroom suggestions!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2018, 10:45:42 PM »

Thank you for consulting your users! I'll start poking around and looking for stuff. It's been a while since I looked at any chat systems.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2018, 11:24:46 AM »

You're very welcome!

Any and all chat room/chat software suggestions welcome. I will take a look at anything. I'd much prefer us to find something all together that might bring the community to a consensus as well as bring us together in chat with something everyone enjoys. ESPECIALLY with a good PM system! xD If it can be integrated, great. If not? Well. We'll work with that, too.
 You own a rock. It's a rock with a symbol on it. Nobody is sure what it does.    Light, flexible, and handy for the acrobatic types.    A versatile vegetable for cakes, stews, meals and rabbits.    RhyDin's finest home made brew. Random and questionable contents which all lead to the same thing: getting stupefied drunk. Warning label reads: May cause fire breathing, murderous rampages, embarassing confessions, illusions of grandeur, overly affectionate thoughts and gut rot. Drink at your own risk.    A heavy long steel shield, enchanted with nature and shaped to resemble a leaf. The shield is said to be able to cloak the bearer in forested areas three times a day.    Madam Curio's specialty potion. One potion can restore either a tiny tidbit of health, stamina, mana (magic), strength, dexterity, perceptions or intelligence with one draw back: the effect is random and the drinker has no idea which will be bolstered.   A steel shuriken, or throwing star. Easily concealed, these weapons can be thrown or hidden in the palm for slashing or puncturing.    A deep green ring carved from spinel. Engraved are shapes of twisting vines that seem to reach out. This ring is ensorcelled to allow the wearer to cast Tangling Vines, a spell to trap a target, twice a day.   A necklace with the mummified claw of a supposed harpy. It is said the necklace may grant the wearer feather fall once a day.    This health potion is enough to restore light wounds (cuts, bruises, knock outs.) It may be enough to keep serious wounds together long enough to seek medical attention...but it isn't recommended for near-death health issues.    A splendid long cloak dyed as black as a starless night. To keep a body warm or to keep them hidden in the shadows?  
The Wizard of Words award is given to members who have created 50 topics on GR, celebrating their words. This award is given to players with a bad ass character. This award is granted to members who have become prolific posters on GreaterRealms. The Enkindler Award is given to the Top Ten Topic Starters here on GreaterRealms. A small thank you from us for starting something good! An award given to the Top 10 members who have spent the most time online here at GreaterRealms. Thank you for your time! This award is granted to members who have volunteered and who are volunteering to be staff or bard at GR.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2019, 08:05:10 PM »

Sorry for replying to my own posts! But I figured I'd toss one of the only suggestions I've found:

Chatwee - Price: $19 a month for 50 users, group chats, 10 chat rooms, 25 chat moderators, White label, CSS customization, support and unlimited message history. However, at $19 there is NO single sign on . Some other features would be clickable links, images and animated gifs (let's not worry about these though unless a decision is made about chat), off line messaging, private chats with private chat history, messenger style group conversations, cross-tab synchronization.

The only issue with using the above would be: if we can't afford the monthly fee, we lose the chat until we can afford it again. And that brings up a few other questions: if we (or I) can't afford the $19 a month, do we lose any customization made? Chat history? Where do all the settings and such go? Does Chatwee keep them saved for a time on their servers?

Chatwee does have a full demo with default colors available on their site for you to test and check out. Please let me know any information you have about the Chatwee company, your opinions, thoughts, and any other chat suggestions! Thank you! 
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2019, 08:28:39 PM »

Okay. So. I tried all the buttons to see how it looks in its various states. My only question so far is... will each of our posts show up like those chat bubbles? Because I don't like that part.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2019, 08:34:19 PM »

Okay. So. I tried all the buttons to see how it looks in its various states. My only question so far is... will each of our posts show up like those chat bubbles? Because I don't like that part.

I am hugely assuming that, even that part of the chat should be able to be customized via CSS, or it may be a feature turned off in the chat. That is something I will write down to search through their community however and see if I can find any posts about it. Thank you!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:44:37 PM »

I think it looks like it will have all we need and want, but there is the 19 bucks.  That's not a lot, and could be spread out pretty easily.  I'd suggest possibly making sure we can pay for a year in advance if possible -- doing a fundraiser for the yearly.  I'd be willing to toss in custom images for donators! 

Delahada

« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2019, 04:02:32 PM »

I'm sorry. I am the worst at "beta testing" shit. I have no vision and can't see the bigger picture of how it might look customized. I'm a "when it's finished dive right in and try to figure it out and then afterward give you my opinion of the finished product" type person. I'm sure whatever you guys decide will be awesome, though. I'll get used to it like I did Discord.

The only opinion I have is... If you do go with a paid program I like Pharlen's idea for yearly fundraisers. Maybe some of the community's other artistic folks would be willing to chip in too.
 A sweet, red apple. Great for snacking and cooking.   
A small ivory carved skull with ruby eyes. Handed to those who survived Halloween & a night in the Tomb,  2014. This player has requested and manages their own subforum on GreaterRealms! This member has created a public Event on GR and has been awarded this shiny. The Flying Pants Award: No matter where this character goes, the pants just come flying off! An award given to the Top 10 members who have spent the most time online here at GreaterRealms. Thank you for your time! This award is given to players who have terrific characters here on GR. This award is granted to an individual who has shown remarkable spirit in the RP community of GreaterRealms, be it in character, out of character, in the forums or in the chat room. The Enkindler Award is given to the Top Ten Topic Starters here on GreaterRealms. A small thank you from us for starting something good! This award is granted to those who participated in Eros day events.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2019, 04:24:40 PM »

I like Pharlen's suggestion as well! And I think that I might very well do that this year! I will make a note to create a volunteer prize/offerings thread. In the meantime, I'm off to work!

Thank you Del for weighing in! I appreciate that opinion myself, as that's how I tend to approach a lot of things. "I'll figure out as I use it," xD Appreciate it!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2019, 01:45:43 AM »

Bubble background – the background color of an actual message bubble (for users other than yourself)

My bubble background – the background color of an actual message bubble (for your messages; TIP: make it differ from the Bubble background)

Bubble text – the color of the text of a chat message (for users other than yourself)

My bubble text – the color of the text of a chat message (your posts)

Message time/typing info – the color of timestamps and the typing indicator

Bubble avatar – the color of the guest user avatar (TIP: use in connection with Top toolbar > Room icon / Conversation avatar icon)

The above quote is taken from the Chatwee blog itself. It sounds like for the first bit if needed, I could change the color of the chat bubbles to blend in entirely to whatever background color we choose for the chat until I can take time and get my hands on the CSS or any code that I may be allowed to, for further customizing. I also assume changing the background color won't change the spacing of the invisible bubbles however or how it might display in a chat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Tags: