Taking forum software suggestions!

GreaterRealms

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taking forum software suggestions!  (Read 226 times)

Taking forum software suggestions!
« on: Dec 19, 2018, 11:42:49 AM »

Currently GR is running on Simple Machines Forum, a free forum software. There are many forum softwares available that we could either change to, or stick with SMF if the community wishes it. There are also some paid forum software out there too.

Simple Machines (Free)
ElkArte (Free)
phpBB (Free)
MyBB (Free)
FluxBB (Free)
Xenforo (paid)
Invision (paid)
Vanilla (Open Source /Paid)
vBulletin 5 (Paid)
Wolt Lab Suite (Paid)
Plush Forums (Paid)

Which one(s) do you like the idea of? Which ones do you think we could afford? Do you want to stick with SMF, or keep to the free software? Did I miss a forum software you really like? What's your opinions? Please comment below, you're helping me build a community that everyone will enjoy! Thank you!
 You own a rock. It's a rock with a symbol on it. Nobody is sure what it does.    Light, flexible, and handy for the acrobatic types.    A versatile vegetable for cakes, stews, meals and rabbits.    RhyDin's finest home made brew. Random and questionable contents which all lead to the same thing: getting stupefied drunk. Warning label reads: May cause fire breathing, murderous rampages, embarassing confessions, illusions of grandeur, overly affectionate thoughts and gut rot. Drink at your own risk.    A heavy long steel shield, enchanted with nature and shaped to resemble a leaf. The shield is said to be able to cloak the bearer in forested areas three times a day.    Madam Curio's specialty potion. One potion can restore either a tiny tidbit of health, stamina, mana (magic), strength, dexterity, perceptions or intelligence with one draw back: the effect is random and the drinker has no idea which will be bolstered.   A steel shuriken, or throwing star. Easily concealed, these weapons can be thrown or hidden in the palm for slashing or puncturing.    A deep green ring carved from spinel. Engraved are shapes of twisting vines that seem to reach out. This ring is ensorcelled to allow the wearer to cast Tangling Vines, a spell to trap a target, twice a day.   A necklace with the mummified claw of a supposed harpy. It is said the necklace may grant the wearer feather fall once a day.    This health potion is enough to restore light wounds (cuts, bruises, knock outs.) It may be enough to keep serious wounds together long enough to seek medical attention...but it isn't recommended for near-death health issues.    A splendid long cloak dyed as black as a starless night. To keep a body warm or to keep them hidden in the shadows?  
The Wizard of Words award is given to members who have created 50 topics on GR, celebrating their words. This award is given to players with a bad ass character. This award is granted to members who have become prolific posters on GreaterRealms. An award given to the Top 10 members who have spent the most time online here at GreaterRealms. Thank you for your time! The Enkindler Award is given to the Top Ten Topic Starters here on GreaterRealms. A small thank you from us for starting something good! This award is granted to members who have volunteered and who are volunteering to be staff or bard at GR.

Delahada

Re: Taking forum software suggestions!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2018, 11:04:21 PM »

What is Rings of Honor using? I only ask because I really like how smooth it is to C&P from Google Docs to their forums without having to fuss with the formatting. That's my only complaint about what GR is using right now. I always have to fuss with the formatting after I copy and paste. Remove formatting and manually go through and change everything. Especially spacing. It gets weird. When I post on RoH, it's direct C&P and I can usually just hit submit right away without hassle. So... Something that easily allows me to C&P, click submit, and be done without extra work would be great.
 A sweet, red apple. Great for snacking and cooking.   
A small ivory carved skull with ruby eyes. Handed to those who survived Halloween & a night in the Tomb,  2014. This player has requested and manages their own subforum on GreaterRealms! This member has created a public Event on GR and has been awarded this shiny. The Flying Pants Award: No matter where this character goes, the pants just come flying off! An award given to the Top 10 members who have spent the most time online here at GreaterRealms. Thank you for your time! This award is given to players who have terrific characters here on GR. This award is granted to an individual who has shown remarkable spirit in the RP community of GreaterRealms, be it in character, out of character, in the forums or in the chat room. The Enkindler Award is given to the Top Ten Topic Starters here on GreaterRealms. A small thank you from us for starting something good! This award is granted to those who participated in Eros day events.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2018, 05:39:35 AM »

I am 99.9% sure they are using the newest version of phpBB :3
 You own a rock. It's a rock with a symbol on it. Nobody is sure what it does.    Light, flexible, and handy for the acrobatic types.    A versatile vegetable for cakes, stews, meals and rabbits.    RhyDin's finest home made brew. Random and questionable contents which all lead to the same thing: getting stupefied drunk. Warning label reads: May cause fire breathing, murderous rampages, embarassing confessions, illusions of grandeur, overly affectionate thoughts and gut rot. Drink at your own risk.    A heavy long steel shield, enchanted with nature and shaped to resemble a leaf. The shield is said to be able to cloak the bearer in forested areas three times a day.    Madam Curio's specialty potion. One potion can restore either a tiny tidbit of health, stamina, mana (magic), strength, dexterity, perceptions or intelligence with one draw back: the effect is random and the drinker has no idea which will be bolstered.   A steel shuriken, or throwing star. Easily concealed, these weapons can be thrown or hidden in the palm for slashing or puncturing.    A deep green ring carved from spinel. Engraved are shapes of twisting vines that seem to reach out. This ring is ensorcelled to allow the wearer to cast Tangling Vines, a spell to trap a target, twice a day.   A necklace with the mummified claw of a supposed harpy. It is said the necklace may grant the wearer feather fall once a day.    This health potion is enough to restore light wounds (cuts, bruises, knock outs.) It may be enough to keep serious wounds together long enough to seek medical attention...but it isn't recommended for near-death health issues.    A splendid long cloak dyed as black as a starless night. To keep a body warm or to keep them hidden in the shadows?  
The Wizard of Words award is given to members who have created 50 topics on GR, celebrating their words. This award is given to players with a bad ass character. This award is granted to members who have become prolific posters on GreaterRealms. An award given to the Top 10 members who have spent the most time online here at GreaterRealms. Thank you for your time! The Enkindler Award is given to the Top Ten Topic Starters here on GreaterRealms. A small thank you from us for starting something good! This award is granted to members who have volunteered and who are volunteering to be staff or bard at GR.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2018, 01:59:25 PM »

I am 99.9% sure they are using the newest version of phpBB :3
Yup, we are.  If you go that route, give Jake a shout to get some tips.  He did a lot of work to get it running well, including some database tweaks to make sure we didn't suffer the smart quotes catastrophe.
 Nothing like a dagger, hidden easily and light weight for quick work.    This health potion is enough to restore light wounds (cuts, bruises, knock outs.) It may be enough to keep serious wounds together long enough to seek medical attention...but it isn't recommended for near-death health issues.    Better than coffee, one Stamina potion will pick up an exhausted warrior, student, or dragon mom and have them bright eyed and ready to go. Although users are strongly cautioned to limit their use as it only treats symptoms, not the cause.    A splendid long cloak dyed as black as a starless night. To keep a body warm or to keep them hidden in the shadows?   Electric blue for a reason. Do not lick!    Just don't ask where he hides them.    Stylish, portable, highly customized, and a mad-scientists dream come true. Or maybe just one elf's--glass tubes and miniature diabolical things that probably only make sense to Kalamere are inside.    Made from a silvery metal, this ring featuring a coiled snake is enchanted to protect the bearer against poisons.  
The Enkindler Award is given to the Top Ten Topic Starters here on GreaterRealms. A small thank you from us for starting something good! An award given to the Top 10 members who have spent the most time online here at GreaterRealms. Thank you for your time! This award is granted to an individual who has shown remarkable spirit in the RP community of GreaterRealms, be it in character, out of character, in the forums or in the chat room.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2018, 08:35:25 PM »

Thank you Kal! Appreciate it, and I might just go that way, depends on if I can figure out how to convert all our posts/accounts + how you'd install a different forum software over and old one? (Or what. It'll take a while!)
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2019, 01:57:58 AM »

SMF and phpBB look like the best possible choices to me. A, they are free and B, I think most of the GR members are already familiar with both of these set ups.

Maybe I'm crotchety in my old age, but I can only handle so many changes in a certain period of time!  ;)
 One minor healing spell enchants this necklace. Once the spell it used, the necklace turns into ash.    A splendid long cloak dyed as black as a starless night. To keep a body warm or to keep them hidden in the shadows?   RhyDin's finest home made brew. Random and questionable contents which all lead to the same thing: getting stupefied drunk. Warning label reads: May cause fire breathing, murderous rampages, embarassing confessions, illusions of grandeur, overly affectionate thoughts and gut rot. Drink at your own risk.    A chunky bracelet made of gold. It's heavily encrusted with emeralds and sparkles beautifuly.   
This player has requested and manages their own subforum on GreaterRealms! The Enkindler Award is given to the Top Ten Topic Starters here on GreaterRealms. A small thank you from us for starting something good! An award given to the Top 10 members who have spent the most time online here at GreaterRealms. Thank you for your time! This award is granted to an individual who has shown remarkable spirit in the RP community of GreaterRealms, be it in character, out of character, in the forums or in the chat room.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:04:42 PM »

SMF and phpBB look like the best possible choices to me. A, they are free and B, I think most of the GR members are already familiar with both of these set ups.

Maybe I'm crotchety in my old age, but I can only handle so many changes in a certain period of time!  ;)

There's that, too! As much as I love trying new stuff, not everyone has the patience nor want to do so. I think I will do my best to focus on SMF for now, updating and figuring things out. It's a great forum software, and it's sort of what GR has been using the longest. We started originally with phpBB and switched over the SMF and I think we've had SMF the longest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Tags: