The person above me, RP style

GreaterRealms

The person above me forum games are pretty simple and fun.

In this version of The Person above me, we'll stick to role playing questions!

For example: "The person above me should tell me a little bit about their most embarassing RP moment," or, "What character does the person above me love the most?

As the first poster, I'll be happy to start and answer :p

GreaterRealms

Currently, I don't--surprisingly, despite many of the questionable, downright insane or dark tendencies of some, I don't think I could play them if I hated them.

Now if we dig deep in the past and conjure up the very first character I ever made and used to RP with? I cringe when I think of her. I'd say that I hate my first character because she was a Mary Sue, majorly, and that she did a lot of things IC that I have learned now not to do.

The person above me (Joey): is there a character you've ever really wanted to play, but talked yourself out of or never did for any reason?

Joey Damarco

Oh yes! I have always wanted to play a medieval woman. Like down to the details totally medieval lady. Maybe even a Joan of Arc warrior sort. However, my knowledge on such topics is limited to you know movies and books which are not always historically accurate and to be honest, I've been lazy about doing my own research. So I don't play one. It's the same reason I shy away from sci-fi characters and well almost anything not human. One day though I'll get brave and knowledgeable.

To the person above me (GR- Mel): What is most irritating to you? God Moding, grammar mistakes, or people who take 20 minutes + to post 1 line? And, Why?

GreaterRealms

I'd have to say God-Modding/God Mode to be the one thing that annoys me most, yes!

Joey: Do you prefer happy endings to story lines, or heart break that may reforge your character into someone stronger/better?

Joey Damarco

@ Mel. I like both happy endings and struggles and heartbreak. I get SUPER bored with "perfect" happy endings. There has to be some struggle and fight to keep things interesting.

@ Rekah - Is there any kind of character or style you dislike? IE: Vamps, Wolves, Witches, Humans, Modern, Fantasy, etc.

Craven Delights

What do you think is the hardest part about writing story-lines with others? Waiting on them to post, or keeping momentum in the story?

GreaterRealms

For me, it's keeping my own momentum going in my own stories I create or my own character. Sometimes I run out of steam, lose focus, or realize (worst case scenario) that I wasn't meant to play a character.

Has there ever been something outrageous your character's done that you wish you could do in real life?

Craven Delights

Definitely! I'd love to go all Mystique and shape-shift to look like someone else and screw with people's heads!

@ Mel : Back to you, what outrageous thing has a character of your's done that you wish you could do?

GreaterRealms

Shaved "I heart Drow," into Horam's chest and get away with it.

If you could be ONE character for a day--anyone's character, your own, a partner's, your favorites--who would you be?

Collie

Since Mel is above me:
Is there any kind of storyline theme that you have always wanted to write or play out, but the opportunity just hasn't presented itself?

Craven Delights

@GreaterRealms. - If I could be any character for a day? Hands down I'd be Kitty Helston. Because...who doens't wanna be Kitty for a day?

HellishDesire

~*Eternity is such a long time, no?*~
I don't mind rekindling this... In fact, it might serve to get me out of this writing funk. Now, then... If I'm understanding this concept well enough... Craven remains above me, and thus...

To Craven Delights: What do alignments in characterization mean to you? Do you actively, strictly adhere to them, or do you use them as more of guidelines?

GreaterRealms

Collie date=1397473495 said:
Since Mel is above me:
Is there any kind of storyline theme that you have always wanted to write or play out, but the opportunity just hasn't presented itself?
I would like to redeem Suliss'. Nothing will ever turn her back to normal, nor excuse the things she's done. She'll always be a little dangerous.

But someday, I would like to see her grow to a point in her life where people see more than just the knives, spikes, whips, chains, face eating and danger that she presents to the world.

Also, I would have liked to finish the Ruby SL. I have the ending in my head. But the story between that pesky beginning and ending is flat out gone.

@Hellish: What do you think benefits RP more. Someone willing to start the thread, the post, the event, or the story line for a group or team--or the whole team getting together to start the ball rolling and keep it going?

HellishDesire

~*Eternity is such a long time, no?*~
In my time roleplaying, it is hardly satisfactory enough for someone to merely begin a tale. It is my distinct opinion that an event does not necessarily have to continue should someone make it. If it is meant to involve more than a single person, than there need be that secondary response to keep interest and flow, lest its creator's efforts go to complete waste.

To the one above me (Mel, in this instance): Is it at all important for you that a storyline you have written proceeds at least somewhat how you planned it? This is not meaning that your story cannot have any branching paths. In this medium, that is a given. Is it AT ALL important to you that your character to receive the recognition intended and reach the point desired at the point of true conceptualization?

Craven Delights

HellishDesire date=1399532004 said:
I don't mind rekindling this... In fact, it might serve to get me out of this writing funk. Now, then... If I'm understanding this concept well enough... Craven remains above me, and thus...

To Craven Delights: What do alignments in characterization mean to you? Do you actively, strictly adhere to them, or do you use them as more of guidelines?
It really depends on what I'm out to portray with that character. With my young drow, I play it close to the vest and portray him in a stereotypical drow fashion with chaotic evil xenophobia. Lawful Good doesn't always mean that a character is incapable of being cruel. Look at the Order of Light from Wheel of Time? They adhered to a strict code but were willing to torture to find information. I will definitely say character alignments are more of a guideline but they help narrow how a character can react to any given situation.

Necromesh

I LIIIIIIIIVE
This looks super fun. So, CRAVEN! (And also anyone else above that wants to answer just to mix things up)

Which type of storyline do you prefer (out of these two, obviously. If you have another you like best of all, please elaborate!):

The fully-planned, exactly executed to the letter storyline in which everyone's events are scripted with minimal changes throughout,

or the storyline that only has a concrete beginning, in which the characters' different actions and decisions change the path the story takes and may well end up creating an entirely different ending than what had originally been imagined?

Craven Delights

I'm somewhere in the middle actually, Skiddles. I like to work out a solid base to outline the direction of the story, work off a paper-doll of events, but let the characters be themselves within the story. This style took me a while to get to, and part of the struggle in it is keeping on contact with play partners on what is coming and how to stay on point in the story.

Writing stories is an organic thing, even published authors tend to say their stories never end how they originally plan them. Why should creating storylines in our little playground be any different?

Forgot your password?